Posted - 09/08/2007 : 14:38:52
I regret that the Time Out Error problems seem to be affecting the delivery of Private Messages. There are a few things that I wanted to note for you all just in case you get caught out/confused by what is happening! If you don't use PM's the following will be of no consequence to you but hey, I'll write it out anyway!!
The first thing to say is that the system whereby a member would be notified by e-mail that they have received a Personal Message on the site is not working properly at present. It is very hit and miss as to whether you would receive such an advice or not. Therefore if you are trying to contact a member and are relying on them picking up the e-mail in order to alert them to log on to the site in the first place, I would suggest you e-mail them direct or through the site if they allow it. Of course if as a member you regularly log on, you will see you have Private Messages anyway and would not necessarily rely on getting an e-mail advice. Conversely if you are expecting a PM and are waiting for an e-mail advice, don't bother! Log on to the site anyway!
The second thing I wanted to advise you on is how best to deal with the writing of PM's in the current circumstance. I should emphasise that most times delivery works fine but if you are not alert to what is going wrong you may get caught out and think you've sent a message when no such thing has happened. Doesn't software, drive you crazy??
1. Problem: If you reply to a PM it sometimes says that your reply has been sent when in point of fact it hasn't! I would therefore advise the following:
- Before sending a PM, copy it, just in case it gets lost.
- If you reply to a PM, after it has been reported as having been sent, check your outbox to ensure that it has actually gone. If not you can try again - I have had to do this on occasion about 5 times before a message has gone. This will be resolved though I am sure because it seems to be tied into the Time Out Errors.
Another way of dealing with this which gives a better indication to you that an error has occurred is not to reply to a PM using the Reply button but to start it as a brand new PM. The reason for doing this is that if it doesn't get sent you will be advised of a Time Out Error so you won't then have to faff around in your Out Box to see if it's gone or not - this first screen would tell you. I would still check your Out Box though if I were you if it looks to be a successful transmission as I haven't tested all possibilities at this stage! I certainly check, but that's me for you . Here then are the instructions for sending a 'NEW' PM':
2. Problem: You send the new PM and you get a Time Out Error.
- As before, please be guided to copy the message even before sending - you will then be able to paste it of course, if it requires resending! (There I go, stating the obvious again, its the training specialist in me )
- If you get a Time Out Error message, simply start all over but remember each time to copy it. More often than not it will go on the second try. Most times it goes first time but as I said my worst episode with this took 5 tries. Most frustrating!!
- Check your Out Box if you want to be absolutely sure your message has gone.
Another alternative to this - hang your head out the window and YELL your message at the top of your voice!! If you choose this option, let's hope you're not using the system for messages 'near the knuckle' if you get my meaning??!!!