The Dusty Springfield Network
The Dusty Springfield Network
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome To The DSN
 Newbie Check-In
 Hello middleofnowhere
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janie
Administrator

United Kingdom
8289 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  16:41:35  Show Profile Send Janie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you going 'to show us the way'????

Seriously, a very warm welcome to the Dusty Springfield Network. I see your hobby is music research. Please tell us a little more about how you found us and your obvious interest in Dusty?

Janie x57

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:19:08  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do hope so Janie "Cause I Can't Wait Forever" !!!
Go to Top of Page

middleofnowhere
Brand New Me

95 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  12:47:14  Show Profile Send middleofnowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well hello there. Let me say straight off that this is the nicest welcome to any forum I've ever visited, thank you.

I'm simply a music fanatic. Always have been. In times of trouble it's always the music that brings you through, makes you live, gives you something to look forwards to (the next band, the next gig).

As a cosequence I began writing indipendent gig reviews and started taking my own photos to go with them. Got published a couple of times during university times, but never really made it, or made money out of it (there's always a first time though hopefully). So now I publish my own stuff on my own site.

Recently had a couple of my photos used by The Clash Blog for their reviews of Big Audio Dynamite March/April tour this year.

Dusty, well, I was always aware of Dusty. She's just one of those singers who has damned good lyrics she delivers beautifully. My interest in her works became more serious after a chance meeting with a girl I had coffee with in Gijon. I saw her perform twice and had to look up who she was on Google when I got home before I realised just who I'd been talking to. Only Katy Setterfield.

Gods that girl can sing. Unfortunately I only saw her perform with backing tracks. I told her I'd like to see her perform with a full band, but haven't as yet.

I was looking for some current reviews of her latest gigs, which led me here. There don't seem to be any, anywhere. Maybe I'll just have to write one myself if I manage to get to one of the gigs this year.
Go to Top of Page

Janie
Administrator

United Kingdom
8289 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  13:26:19  Show Profile Send Janie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great introduction - thank you for sharing this with us .

How lovely that you should have met up with our Katy. She certainly is a great singer and many of us have enjoyed her shows. I myself was privileged (along with Simon Bell and Carole Gibson) to be one of Dusty Superfans on the BBC One and Only tribute show in which Katy, of course, won as Dusty. What an exciting experience and such fun. Katy has been to all the annual Dusty Days since and as you will know been to many many countries and on cruise liners 'being' Dusty and others.

I'm glad we have found another Superfan in you 'middleofnowhere'. Good to have you around.

Janie x57
Go to Top of Page

middleofnowhere
Brand New Me

95 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  14:41:57  Show Profile Send middleofnowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that 'One And Only Show'. Saw that first show by accident, heard the 'Dusty' number and had a bet with myself she was going to win. I was so glad she did, but I forgot all about it completely and got a hell of a shock when I got home and found out the Kate I'd met was that same girl.

Saw the 'Dusty Day' footage with Madeline Bell. Looked like a good day had by all. Maybee next year I'll come check it out and do a write up for you.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  15:30:36  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How nice to see a new member posting such an interesting thread but shame on you not realising you were in Katy's presence, I take it it was not a large scale show with posters etc - a rehearsal perhaps? Otherwise you really need to get to Specsavers LOL!!!!

I can confirm Katy in concert with her band is a great night out and when Katy does Katy it's even better as her self penned songs are really good.

Hope to see many more posts from you.
Go to Top of Page

middleofnowhere
Brand New Me

95 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  16:39:21  Show Profile Send middleofnowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, well that's kind of a long story. I was on holiday, I fell in with the right crowd. Turned out one of them was a singer who did 'Dusty' numbers. I've seen a lot of singers in my time and had no reason to think anything spcial (until I heard her), after all, I reasoned there's got to be more than one 'Dusty' act and that TV show thing was a hundred and one country miles from my mind at that time and place.

It's funny you should say "when Katy does Katy it's even better as her self penned songs are really good." because that's one of the things we talked about after I saw her sing Dusty. That, I'd really like to see.

Can't understand why she isn't playing places like O2 Academy or similar when other less well known tribute acts seem to be doing so well. Can't understand why there was no record deal/follow up after the TV thing.

Publicity in this game is everything. Yet no reviews .... ?

It tweaks my curiosity.
Go to Top of Page

Motown Diva

United Kingdom
3826 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  19:27:03  Show Profile Send Motown Diva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well hello there, delighted to have you join us! Thanks for posting such a great intro too, look forward to reading more of your posts.

Emma xXx
Go to Top of Page

middleofnowhere
Brand New Me

95 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  20:26:31  Show Profile Send middleofnowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Em.
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Wishing And Hoping

United Kingdom
895 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  19:26:23  Show Profile Send Gill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Aboard..

Gill
Go to Top of Page

middleofnowhere
Brand New Me

95 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  12:42:53  Show Profile Send middleofnowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gill.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Dusty Springfield Network © 2000-06 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2