The Dusty Springfield Network
The Dusty Springfield Network
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome To The DSN
 Daydreaming
 Gene Pitney Humour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4971 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  16:11:32  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have already written about the guests on Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club which was televised in the mid 70's.

Many of the acts were caught up in the atmosphere & humour of the show with Gene being no exception and he took it all in good part giving good answers.

The first time he guested he started to sing 24 Hours From Tulsa,after about two lines the club chairman interrupted him to ask why he was singing THAT song when they all knew it belonged to Kenneth McKellar (a well known Scottish singer), Gene then replied in what I took as a Yorkshire accent "Me Moother Told Me To Sing Or Get Back On The Bus" he then said he had more songs to sing but he would need vocal backing so they said he could have two of the barmaids.

Another time in between songs he was stopped again and asked why he was dressed as a man when his name is Jean, Gene replied "Because I Am A Man And I Dress This Way To Impress The Girls, He Looked At The Club Chairman in his tweed jacket and cap and asked "The Way You Dress Who Are You Trying Too Impress".

With humour being different all over the world it was great that our overseas stars took it all in good fun - even if it was scripted.

Edited by - reputation on 10/07/2011 19:45:32

Gill
Wishing And Hoping

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2011 :  22:29:46  Show Profile Send Gill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL.... Gene Pitney with a Yorkshire accent, you know he did perform at the Batley Variery Club along with Dusty and the Batchelors and a host of Celebs .. here in the heart of Yorkshire.. so he was familiar with the dialect.
I loved his Duet with Marc Almond.. You must be logged in to see this link.
Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart............. they lyrics are preety good too..

'If there's one thing that inhibits good singing, it's fear
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Dusty Springfield Network © 2000-06 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2