The Dusty Springfield Network
The Dusty Springfield Network
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome To The DSN
 Dusty's Recordings
 New Box Set!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

wally
Sweet Inspiration

United Kingdom
2182 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  10:09:42  Show Profile Send wally a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a new box set advertised on JBHIFI's web site (australian) retailing at $179 contains 4CDs, 3 DVDs, books and previously unreleased tracks! Called Goin' Back: The Definitive Dusty Springfield (Super Deluxe Box Set) check out You must be logged in to see this link. for more details.....available on 4th November!

Wally x

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  11:20:34  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wally this is the box set we've been waiting for that was delayed from January - what a fantastic list of songs especially on the dvd as the footage from They Sold A Million is included, I can still remember Dusty doing the Stepping Out With My Baby medley, it will be SO GREAT having all that.

I think we really have to say an enormous THANK YOU to the one and only Paul Howes who fights tooth and nail to get all this released.

The presentation looks great too.

Just checked Amazon and there is nothing about it, great to see Australia got the news first!

Edited by - reputation on 25/07/2011 11:28:10
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  13:29:33  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am SO underwhelmed at the reaction to this release !!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Janie
Administrator

United Kingdom
8289 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  15:58:36  Show Profile Send Janie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reputation

Put another way, you could say we have been overwhelmed by a lack of response ...........we have a lot of guests to the forum (who I am always delighted to see ) who only ever read the posts Karl , so don't be disappointed by a lack of response as Wally's post will have been seen by many .

Janie x57
Go to Top of Page

Janie
Administrator

United Kingdom
8289 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  15:59:43  Show Profile Send Janie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janie

quote:

Put another way, you could say we have been overwhelmed by a lack of response ...........we have a lot of guests to the forum (who I am always delighted to see ) who only ever read the posts Karl , so don't be disappointed by a lack of response as Wally's post will have been seen by many .

Janie x57

p.s. Meant to say that I agree wholeheartedly with your comment re Paul Howes.

Janie x57
Go to Top of Page

James McKenzie
Brand New Me

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  17:50:40  Show Profile Send James McKenzie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather suspect that the likely price of the forthcoming boxed set is a lot to do with the absence of reaction. The Australian price of $A179 is not far short of 120 at the current exchange rate. That's a lot to pay for the limited amount of previously unreleased material. The fact that the previously unreleased stuff includes live versions or alternate takes of material by The Springfields does not make my heart beat any faster.

Let's face it, we are being asked to stump up for three CDs of material we have already bought several times over already, a DVD we already have and a book we have already bought. So that leaves one CD, two DVDs and a book for 120. Sorry, I forgot the four photo prints.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  19:51:04  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janie

quote:

Janie x57

My point exactly Janie, 80- have read the post but only 5 had replied, doesn't anyone have anything to say about this major release?

Edited by - reputation on 15/09/2011 12:22:36
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  19:55:08  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James McKenzie

I rather suspect that the likely price of the forthcoming boxed set is a lot to do with the absence of reaction. The Australian price of $A179 is not far short of 120 at the current exchange rate. That's a lot to pay for the limited amount of previously unreleased material. The fact that the previously unreleased stuff includes live versions or alternate takes of material by The Springfields does not make my heart beat any faster.

Let's face it, we are being asked to stump up for three CDs of material we have already bought several times over already, a DVD we already have and a book we have already bought. So that leaves one CD, two DVDs and a book for 120. Sorry, I forgot the four photo prints.

Jim

I know it's expensive and there is duplication but that's the way it goes, personally I don't think we needed some of the dvd material or the book as they are bound to know the fans already have that and at the high price the casual listener is not going to buy it, it's for real Dusty completists. I have to admit I gulped at the price but atg least I have an opinion about it, life gets so boring when nobody replies to posts people have taken the time to write!
Go to Top of Page

Kyles Beguiles
Wishing And Hoping

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  20:08:03  Show Profile Send Kyles Beguiles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the major gratitude for Paul Howes and his ongoing efforts to ensure that various Dusty gems from "the vaults" get to see the light of day

Although I am disappointed by the absence of certain unreleased tracks (namely, "I Just Wanna Be There" and "Tupelo Honey" alternate takes, "The Other Side Of Life" B.J. Thomas duet version, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" 80s version, etc.) I am delighted to have the previously unreleased tracks and videos making their official release debut. The price is rather steep, and I would have liked to have the "missing" duets from Dusty's first two BBC series (although we do get audio for the Mel Torme medley) and the "You Got What It Takes" duet with Tom Jones from her "I Am Woman/Since I Fell For You" appearance, but I am thrilled to finally see the entire They Sold A Million performance.

So despite its shortcomings, this set still has its champions and is certainly a step in the right direction as far as official releases go.

Butterflies were made to fly, I've got to be free
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  12:24:36  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Oz site is still showing November 4th as a release date so WHY are none of the British sites (i.e. Amazon, Play.com & HMV) showing any sign of it as a pre-release?
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  19:06:45  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found a release date for this when I was playing around on the PC yesterday, October 31st. Can we presume they mean 2011?
Go to Top of Page

wally
Sweet Inspiration

United Kingdom
2182 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  19:08:25  Show Profile Send wally a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fingers crossed Karl! where was this Amazon? HMV? Play.com?

Wally x
Go to Top of Page

Earthbound Gypsy
Sweet Inspiration

USA
4227 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  19:59:42  Show Profile Send Earthbound Gypsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still undecided, it is an awful lot of money, but knowning me I'll probably give into it. I still have a few of Dusty's DVD's unopened in it's original shrink wrap. BTW, has anyone heard anything about a US release date.

Marty

Edited by - Earthbound Gypsy on 18/09/2011 20:01:25
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  23:00:42  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wally

fingers crossed Karl! where was this Amazon? HMV? Play.com?

Wally x

No it wasn't any of them Wally I think I typed in Dusty Springfield new release and it came up, there was also a review on Dusty written by someone who knows nothing and said Dusty had been dead for 20 years !

The price quoted before was Australian dollars, nobody knows how much it's going to cost here yet and yes it's having a Stateside release.
Go to Top of Page

Kyles Beguiles
Wishing And Hoping

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  16:08:01  Show Profile Send Kyles Beguiles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James McKenzie

Jim

Perhaps those tracks rehashed from previous compilations will appear in improved sound quality here. For example, "Live It Up" from the recently issued Gold 2CD set sounds like an entirely different recording from other CDs where it has previously appeared.

Butterflies were made to fly, I've got to be free
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  08:46:14  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wally I found that site again it's You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

wally
Sweet Inspiration

United Kingdom
2182 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  09:27:13  Show Profile Send wally a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl!

Wally x
Go to Top of Page

James McKenzie
Brand New Me

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  16:41:43  Show Profile Send James McKenzie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the boxed set has still not appeared on Amazon etc as a pre-order, I checked out a site for Universal UK, which sells boxed sets direct to the public. Lo and behold,it appears there as a forthcoming release, due on 31 October priced at 119.99. In my posting of 27/07/2011, I estimated the UK price at 120. Not bad, only a penny out.

Here is the link to the site:

You must be logged in to see this link.

The boxed set is at the bottom of the page.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  23:32:37  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that James, hopefully Amazon & Play.com may be a bit cheaper.

I am most surprised it's not showing as a pre-release with them by now.
Go to Top of Page

Earthbound Gypsy
Sweet Inspiration

USA
4227 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  00:34:58  Show Profile Send Earthbound Gypsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just googled a US conversion that would make it $214.48 in the US a the present time.

There was a time when when I would have actually gone for this and bought everything I could possibly get my hands on if it was Dusty! Currently, I am quite happy with my Dusty collection and find this to be way too expensive regardless what it contains. That doesn't mean I would never make another purchase, but unless this one comes down in price think I'll pass. I wonder how many sales it will actually make in the US, can't believe it will be very many.

Marty

Edited by - Earthbound Gypsy on 26/09/2011 00:38:29
Go to Top of Page

James McKenzie
Brand New Me

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  16:31:35  Show Profile Send James McKenzie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing my daily check on the Amazon UK site to see whether The Look of Love boxed set was showing up, I found that it wasn't. However, I did discover another new boxed set The Magic of Dusty Springfield due for release on November 8. It retails at 34.12 and seems to be a four disc set. It looks like 3 CDs and one DVD. Hee is a link to the relevant page at Amazon UK:

This set appeared a couple of weeks ago on HMV Japan's site, but I ignored it as it seemed like some kind of error, in that it seemed to be a reduced version of The Look of Love set.

What is going on?

Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Dusty Springfield Network © 2000-06 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2