The Dusty Springfield Network
The Dusty Springfield Network
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome To The DSN
 Other Music
 Dusty in NY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gill
Wishing And Hoping

United Kingdom
895 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  23:30:22  Show Profile Send Gill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Performing Dusty...Dusty Springfield New York salute with Broadway in mind.....
Kristen Holly Smith

Just a glimpse....I hope one of these links work..

You must be logged in to see this link.

'If there's one thing that inhibits good singing, it's fear

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  00:59:37  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why must they always over-do the movements and make them look stilted and theatrical?

When Dusty moved it just seemed so natural! Dusty's movements were part of her, and nobody has every managed to do it as well.
Go to Top of Page

Janie
Administrator

United Kingdom
8289 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  10:11:46  Show Profile Send Janie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting these links Gill .

Karl, I think it depends what the singer is trying to do - if the singer is simply 'doing' a representation of Dusty and her music, well, in my mind this is what you get - the person singing in a voice that bears no resemblance whatsoever to Dusty's combined with the exaggerated body movements, which as you say was not how it was with Dusty herself. Without sounding disrespectful to the likes of Kristen, my personal preference for such a show is for it to be for example, Kirsten singing Dusty - the fact that she dresses up in 'Dusty style' () makes it look what it clearly isn't.

Katy in the 'One and Only' was the closest I've heard and seen but even with Katy, as time has gone on she has become more Katy singing Dusty than anything else - the fact remains, there was only ONE, the One and Only Dusty Springfield!!!!!

Janie x58
Go to Top of Page

viperMON
Wishing And Hoping

710 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  13:55:37  Show Profile Send viperMON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janie

what you get - the person singing in a voice that bears no resemblance whatsoever to Dusty's combined with the exaggerated body movements,

Janie x58

Atrocity !

'Never Trust A Hippie !'
Go to Top of Page

Earthbound Gypsy
Sweet Inspiration

USA
4227 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  20:15:16  Show Profile Send Earthbound Gypsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK I cannot resist giving this performance my critique!

Dusty truly remains unique and no one has come close to any of Dusty's performances. Janie, I totally agree with your comments about Katy Setterfield.

When I first read the name Kristin and Broadway, I was concerned that it might be Kristen Chenoweth. Thank goodness it was not her, as she is extremely talented.

Now for my negative comments:

1. I cannot see Dusty wearing that gown.
2. Didn't anyone ever tell her you wear a black bra not white under a black clothing?
3. She really needs to watch Dusty sing You Don't have To Say You Love Me and work on her hand movements. I found her hand gestures to be almost cartoon-like, an insult to Broadway, New York and of course Dusty!

I repeat no one could sing like Dusty, but I will say one thing positive about this performance, she really does not have a bad voice, just NOT Dusty.

Gill, I just want to add thank you for posting this.

Marty

Edited by - Earthbound Gypsy on 11/08/2012 20:16:20
Go to Top of Page

Earthbound Gypsy
Sweet Inspiration

USA
4227 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  01:21:23  Show Profile Send Earthbound Gypsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just learned that this is going to be a play on the Broadway Stage called Forever Dusty.
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
5020 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  00:18:56  Show Profile Send reputation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just heard today that the off-broadway musical on Dusty has reached 100 performances - that's great news!
Go to Top of Page

Earthbound Gypsy
Sweet Inspiration

USA
4227 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  21:40:29  Show Profile Send Earthbound Gypsy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two friends in New York that went to see this play recently, one of them loved it and the other hated it.

Marty
Go to Top of Page

douggie
Wishing And Hoping

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  04:00:34  Show Profile Send douggie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reputation

Why must they always over-do the movements and make them look stilted and theatrical?

When Dusty moved it just seemed so natural! Dusty's movements were part of her, and nobody has every managed to do it as well.

I agree..

Douggie

The Truth is out There!
Go to Top of Page

Janie
Administrator

United Kingdom
8289 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  12:20:15  Show Profile Send Janie a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Forever Dusty, Musical About Late Dusty Springfield, Sets Off-Broadway Closing Date
By Andrew Gans
25 Mar 2013

Forever Dusty, the new musical by Kirsten Holly Smith and Jonathan Vankin about the life of late singer Dusty Springfield, will play its final performance at Off-Broadway's New World Stages April 7.

When it closes, the production, which officially opened Nov. 18, 2012, following previews that began Nov. 11, will have played eight previews and 161 regular performances.

Producers have plans to bring the show to London and Los Angeles and are also at work on a national tour.

"We had an amazing run here in NYC. I have worked on bringing Dusty to the New York stage for years and I am so grateful that my dream came true. I talked to hundreds of audience members and their passion and love for the show and for Dusty Springfield truly inspired me every night. I can't wait to do Forever Dusty again in the next city, co-writer and star Smith said in a statement.

Co-writer Vankin added, "We want to thank all of our fans who made it possible to have such an exciting experience in our five months at New World Stages. They are the reason we do this show! But none of it would have been possible without our beautiful, hugely talented cast and crew. Most of all, we give our thanks to the legendary Dusty Springfield. If more people know and love her now than before we started the show, then we have achieved what we set out to do."

Directed by Randal Myler (Love, Janis; It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues), Forever Dusty is produced by Jorja Fox, Leslie Brockett, Jane Gullong and Sandalphon Productions, with executive producer Eva Price of Maximum Entertainment Productions.

Co-writer Smith also stars in the production. She is joined by Christina Sajous, Coleen Sexton, Benim Foster, Sean Patrick Hopkins, Ashley Betton and Jonathan C. Kaplan.

The creative team also includes set designer Wilson Chin, lighting designer Richard DiBella, sound designer Matt Kraus, musical director Michael Thomas Murray and costume designer Nancy Palmatier.

Forever Dusty, according to the producers, tells the "compelling and moving story of Dusty's journey, in a dramatic, high-energy musical filled with some of the most exciting pop songs ever written," including "Son of a Preacher Man," "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," "The Look of Love" and many others.

Born Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, Dusty Springfield became what the producers call the first great female pop star of the 1960s.

New World Stages is located at 340 West 50th Street. For more information visit foreverdusty.com.

Janie x59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Dusty Springfield Network © 2000-06 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2